Thursday 16 July 2015

Kids say the darnedest things

So the new school year is almost upon us and with that, I decided to share some memories from the last school year. The kids I taught could be an absolute nightmare one day and angels the next but I will still miss them and I loved teaching (most of) them! With English being their second language, they often came out with some pearlers, I wish I had written more of them down.

John: "I like octopus" 
Mel: "Oh yeah they're cool. They have 8 legs"
John: "NOOO. They have two hands"
Mel: "Ummmm, ok"

Karl: "Teacher, Vy copy me"
Mel: "Karl, we're singing a song"

Mel: "How are you?"
Student: "Fat"

Rick: "Your hair looks cute. And you are beautiful."

We were learning short 'a' sounds and I put up the word mad:
Class: "Teacher, what's mad?"
Mel: "It means angry, or cross"
Helen: "That's my mom"


Mel: "How are you?"
John: "I'm not happy."
Mel: "Why aren't you happy?"
John: "Monday, Tuesday..."
Mel: "Ok then."

Jenny: I'm so happy today
Mel: Why are you so happy?
Jenny: Because you're wonderful!

We were learning about verbs and the lesson combined them with animals. The book said "parrots can talk". The one boy puts up his hand and said "what do parrots speak? English or Vietnamese?".
I had to quickly try and explain that you teach a parrot to talk so you can teach it whatever lanugage you would like, they aren't all born talking!

Who knows what this clown was doing in Ross's class!

The grade one's loooove drawing pictures and some of them are really good. I was very impressed
with the faces that they drew.

6 girls, 2 chairs. (Marilyn, Maria, Victoria, Ann, Tiffany and Hannah).

Cheeky chops Joseph, Ben, Honey and Bella

One of Mel's classrooms
It's interesting to see the different letters that words start with in Vietnamese!

That escalated...

Sue, Vicky, Helen, Finn, Rose, Ann, and Jerry1.

Kevin - the naughtiest kid Mel taught.

 1P: Hannah, Jerry, Honey, Ella, Victoria, Maria, Helen, Queenie, Bella, Marilyn
Ann, Tiffany, Benny,  Jimmy, Adam, Ben, Jenny, Peter, Cindy

Helen

Jenny

Jerry

1M: Jerry 1, Nick, Ann, Choi Ju Heon, Helen, Owen, Finn, Liam, Kevin, Choi Ju Kang, Vodka, Jerry 3,
Jerry 2, Zoe, Rose, Lisa 1, Sally, Vicky, Ella, Tony, Sue, Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment